The International Federation of Social Workers (IFSW) continues to be appalled at the attacks on Gaza and the illegal occupation of Palestinian peoples. Social workers promote peace and the dignity and worth of all peoples. We view that the continuation of the occupation of Palestine is the main barrier to finding sustainable peace solutions, as both peoples must be free from military threat and disadvantage.
IFSW recognises the role of the international community to support transformational change in the region and we call on our members to carry out the following:
- Write to your elected (or unelected) representatives asking them to take action against the occupation of Palestine.
- Write to and lobby your governments to stop their supply of weapons being deployed legally and illegally in this war zone.
- Develop your own campaign, on Face Book, in your community.
- Contact your local churches, mosques, synagogues, and other houses of worship or institutions and ask them to take a stand and to act on this issue.
- Let IFSW know of your activities and they will be posted on our Website for all members to see: email@example.com, write in subject line: Social Work for Peace and Self-determination.
Social work values emphasise the centrality of the dignity and worth of all peoples and we recognize the many voices within Israel and Palestine are seeking to apply these values to find an end to this conflict. The conflict comes from the oppression of people and illegal occupation. Pressure from the international community will assist in helping regional transformation and move towards a future where Israelis and Palestinians live as equals.
Social work principles also include capacity building, social and economic equality and social protection as peace solutions should be about gains and developments as well as the inevitable compromises. For Israelis and Palestinians alike, the transformation of these principles into actions and outcomes would lead to a positive and peaceful future.
See below the IFSW and member statements: