Position Title (Draft subject to amendment by the IFSW Executive):
Commissioner of the IFSW Interim Education Commission
The 2018 IFSW General Meeting agreed to form an Interim Education Commission comprising a Commissioner(s) and regional representatives.
The Federation’s five geographic regions are: Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America and Caribbean, and North America.
Terms of Office:
The Term of Office is two (2) years. The Commissioner may be re-appointed to the same position.
The Commissioner reports to the IFSW President and Secretary-General. The Commissioner directly supports the work of the representatives on the commission and holds functional with all the Federations representatives as well as relevant partner organizations.
In addition, the commissioner occasionally participates in the IFSW Executive meetings and she/he is expected to make a report at each IFSW General Meeting.
The Commissioner must be a social worker having achieved a qualification in social work. The Commissioner must have a good understanding of IFSW policies and how these relate to broader social work educational strategies and policies. The Commissioner must have excellent public speaking skills and be an effective advocate in complex political environments.
It is recommended that candidates for Commissioner have had executive or board level experience within their member organization or their employment positions. Candidates for the Commissioner role must have the time, and the background/abilities, required to carry out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains an active commitment to the goals and objectives of the IFSW
- Leads the IFSW Interim Education Commission.
- Provides support for the Commission members.
- Provides leadership in preparing statements for the Commission on related matters.
- Representations IFSW in public forums.
- Disseminates information and literature regarding Social Work education.
- Develops an Action Plan for the Commission.
- Develop an organizational culture within the Commission of coworking, co-planning sharing information, developing and statements as a group.
- Lead the strategy that will meet the aims and objectives of the Commission as described below:
Aims of the Interim Education Commission
The overarching aim of the interim Education Commission is to create a single, vibrant and inclusive structure for the transfer of knowledge between social work education and practice where both are informed and learning from one another.
Objectives of the Interim Education Commission
- Provide a platform for all parties to work together at the national and global level, in accordance with the global principles, values and ethics as articulated in the Global Definition of Social Work.
- Agree on global minimum standards of social work curriculum and an internationally recognized policy framework.
- Develop a mechanism for IFSW endorsement of social work curricula who meet the global minimum standards and policy frameworks.
- Extend support to social work programmes and educators when experiencing political or technocratic pressures to make “concessions” to the quality of education.
- Promote genuine participation of the people who use services.