Call for IFSW UN Commission Representative in Nairobi, Africa
The IFSW representative to the United Nations is responsible for realizing the agreed strategies within their nominated UN location. They are expected to develop partnerships with UN stakeholders to promote and develop actions and statements on relevant social work contributions; coordinating with the IFSW UN Main Representative and the IFSW UN Commissioner. The IFSW policy papers, the global agenda and the various statements shall be understood as guiding orientation in this work. Here you can read more about the IFSW United Nations Commission on
This is a volunteer position and a self-funding job. The ideal candidate must live in Africa and able to work virtually. Also, she or he must be able to cover all related cost to and from Nairobi
Description of the position
With IFSW UN
- Commission Contribute to a written report for the general meeting of IFSW and attend, as far as possible, IFSW global or regional meetings.
With IFSW members
- Establish partnerships with UN Agencies so that IFSW members work jointly with UN agencies locally, nationally and regionally, bridging engagement between the community’s aspirations, the SGDs and other UN agendas.
IFSW representative team.
- Communicate and work cooperatively with the team and the Main Representative.
- Take initiatives to and support the preparation of statements on UN issues and related matters.
- Maintain an active commitment to the global goals of IFSW.
With the UN.
- Advocate for and promote social work at the UN.
- Build awareness on a social work perspective in the UN’s agendas.
- Create multi-level interventions to build knowledge, information, and visibility of social work
Within United Nations structures.
- Ensure that the statements and work with the United Nations and partners is consistent with the policies of IFSW and the Global Definition of Social Work.
- Attend meetings of the IFSW representatives of this UN site.
- Contribute to an UN NGO committee on an issue that is relevant for Social Work and attend meetings with other NGOs in a representative position.
- Prepare, in collaboration with the main representative and the IFSW Commissioner, written statements to the UN outlining IFSW’s position.
- Give oral statements and contribute to discussions and debates in accordance with the formal policies of IFSW.
- Support the evaluation of IFSW policy papers.
As a non-governmental organization (NGO) representative, it is necessary to have some flexibility of time in order to carry out the responsibilities of the position and to pursue the tasks involved in a consistent manner. A background and education in social work is required. Applicants must be a member of the national organization of social workers and IFSW and in good standing.
Identification with, and commitment to, the principles, purposes and policy statements of IFSW and following the instruction of the ‘Guidelines for IFSW representatives to the UN’.
Demonstrated international perspective and interests.
To be considered for a position, please email your CV and a letter of motivation to IFSW UN Global Commissioner, Mrs. Priska Felishin firstname.lastname@example.org to IFSW Africa Regional UN Representatives, Charles Mbugua, email@example.com by December 20th, 2019
For further information about the position, please write to IFSW UN Global Commissioner, Mrs. Priska Felishin firstname.lastname@example.org and to IFSW Africa Regional UN Representatives, Charles Mbugua, email@example.com