Israel, EuropeBrian Auslander
ארלוזורוב 93 תל אביב, קומה 1 חדר 150
קומה 1, Arlozorov Street 93, Tel Aviv-Yafo, Israel
The Union of Social Workers is part of the General Federation of Labor, and is the only organization authorized to act on behalf of the social worker vis-a-vis government ministries, local authorities and other employers to improve workers’ salaries and employment, Social Development.
The union operates on three main axes:
- Professional union – improving wage and labor conditions, enforcing wage agreements that have been achieved, and assisting workers in realizing their rights and organizing in the workplace
- Promotion of the profession of social work – concern for the professional framework, areas of responsibility, training and professional enrichment frameworks, and the boundaries of the field of activity.
- Promoting social policy – action for a just welfare policy for all citizens of the State of Israel – together with government ministries and various authorities, Knesset committees and social organizations.
The Association of Social Workers is the representative democratic union of all social workers in Israel. The Union is part of a federation of member organizations of the New Histadrut.
The association was founded in 1937 by Henrietta Szold, whose goal was to develop welfare services and raise social worker status.
- Is it social Work a University degree? Yes, there are 4 university programs of social work and 7 colleges. All offer a BSW, which is the entry level degree and the minimum requirement to practice as a social worker. All the universities offer MSW and PhD degrees. Many of the colleges also offer MSW programs. Social work programs from outside of Israel are accepted as long as the program of study is equivalent to the Israeli program.
- How many years do you have to study? The BSW is a 3-year degree.
- Do you have to register to practice social work? All social workers in Israel are registered by the government ministry. All graduates of approved social work programs are automatically registered. Graduates of other programs apply individually.