- Name of the President: Mrs. Steinunn Bergmann
- Number of members: 522
- Year when the Association was established: 1969
- Year when the Association joined IFSW: 2014
- Statutes Icelandic Association of Social Workers
- Code_Ethics Icelandic Association of Social Workers
The Social Workers’ Association of Iceland is a professional and trade union of social workers in Iceland. The role of the company is to promote solidarity among social workers and safeguard their interests, promote social equality and combat prejudice and social injustice in Icelandic society by strengthening social workers as a professional.
The Social Welfare Association of Iceland provides its members with a variety of services and information on their rights. Social workers who are in another union can apply to be professionals and then be sent information about events on behalf of the company and social worker magazines, upon request. Professionals who have paid union membership fees also have the right to vote and are eligible.
The Social Workers’ Association of Iceland is one of the members of the Alliance of University Academies (BHM) and enjoys the benefit of the members of the BHM funds. BHM employees provide a variety of services to members, such as collection of social security contributions, operation of sickness and vocational education funds as well as a holiday fund. The company is actively involved in policy discussions and decisions of the BHM member associations that take place at the Community Presidency, Annual General Meetings and other representative meetings. The company owns and operates an office in the joint premises of BHM in Borgartún 6.
- 2018. Social Workers in Iceland spread out against Poverty
- 2018. Social workers in Iceland are part of the protest regarding the wage gap and other issues that specifically affect women in Iceland
- 2017. 2017 IFSW European Conference in Iceland “A great success in building the unity and focus of the profession”
- 2014. An open letter from the Association of Social Workers in Iceland to the Icelandic government concerning human rights violations in Palestine
- 2015. Social workers in Iceland fight for better wages
- 2015. Seasons Greetings from the Icelandic Association of Social Workers and IFSW European Conference 2017
- Is it social Work a University degree? The Social Work is a University degree.
- How many years do you have to study? You have to study for 5 years, 3 years BA and 2 years MA.
- Do you have to register to practice social work? You have to make an application with the Directorate of Health for a licence as a Social Worker then you can register to practice social work.