In many countries social workers are supporting communities that are affected or fearful of the Covid-19 Virus. Social work has an essential frontline role in the fight against the spread of the virus through supporting communities protect themselves and others through physical distancing and social solidarity.
Key functions of social work at this time include:
- ensuring that the most vulnerable are included in planning and response.
- organizing communities to ensure that essentials such as food and clean water are available.
- advocating within social services and in policy environments that services adapt, remain open and pro-active in supporting communities and vulnerable populations.
- Facilitating physical distancing and social solidarity.
- As a profession, advocating for the advancement and strengthening of health and social services as an essential protection against the virus, inequality and the consequent social and economic challenges.
These articles are submitted individuals and may not necessarily represent the view of IFSW or its members. If you like to submit an article, please do so by sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UK / Africa – COVID Africa_NigelHalls
India – Dr. A. Sylvia Daisy
New Zealand – Radio. Rory Truell: social work through the pandemic
Netherlands – Social Work in times of Corona.Hermande Monnink
Israel – Caring for Jerusalem’s Elderly
Netherlands – Facing Sudden Death
Philipines – Social Work responds – Video
Australia – Mutsa Murenje & Shauna Kimone Porter: Challenges and Prospects for the Social Work Profession
Palestine – Mohammad AL Qaisy: Social Workers Fighting Covid-19 Virus in Palestine
Slovakia: Marína Hostačná: Who am I and who do I want to be during Covid-19?
United Kingdom – Lena Dominelli: Surviving Covid-19: Social Work Issues in a Global Pandemic (Child Protection and Welfare, and Social Care)
United Kingdom – Ruth Stark: Social Work, Covid-19 and Death – a Reflection
Official IFSW statements relating to the Covid-19 Virus are listed to the right and IFSW member updates and reports below.