Social workers and students join the Climate Justice March in New York City
The IFSW Climate Justice Program is also a tool for advocacy to promote policy and practice changes within organizations to shrink our collective ecological footprint.
For example, IFSW has now established a practice of only printing books on post-consumer waste paper products and makes digital copies available for free as PDF downloads.
Other policies and practices that organizations and event planners could consider advocating to establish:
- hosting virtual meetings rather than only face-to-face meetings
- ordering locally sourced, organic, and plant-based food
- using reusable or compostable products
- reducing the printing associated with conference programs, and instead offering cloud-based options
- contributing to the IFSW Climate Justice program for all organizational sanctioned travel (i.e., each employee or volunteer traveling on behalf of an organization would compute their ecological footprint using the IFSW Climate Justice Program’s calculator tool and then their organization would contribute the suggested donation amount)
In addition, we are currently presenting at the World Forum on Climate Justice and reaching out to conference organizers within IFSW Regional partners, and beyond, to collaborate and see if they will promote the IFSW Climate Justice Program on their webpages for their event participants to consider. Please consider ways you could help us promote this at events you host or attend.
We are thankful for all who were involved and who painstakingly sorted out the Global Agenda 2010-2020. Now, looking ahead, we are all invited to contribute to the next Global Agenda (2020-2030). For example, you can advocate for climate justice by offering input about how the climate crisis is urgently demanding our personal and professional attention, especially how it impacts your local areas. Please share your thoughts on how we can shape the Next Global Agenda by offering your feedback here.
If you have ideas to share, please send to ClimateJustice@IFSW.org